A secret blend of herbs and spices in the breading adds crunch to a flavorful coating. A quick fry will ensure your wild turkey tenders stay moist and delicious.
Here is a recipe that works wonderful on wild turkey but can also be used with any type of upland game bird.
- 2 boneless, skinless wild turkey breasts
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Hi Mountain Italian Herb Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp celery salt
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dried mustard
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 Tbsp Hi Mountain Garlic Pepper Rub
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp ground white pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- vegetable or peanut oil for frying
Turkey Tenders Directions:
- 1. Trim turkey by removing any silver skin or connective tissue and cut into 1-inch strips.
- 2. Pulverize the Italian Herb seasoning in a small food processor or use a mortar and pestle to break it up.
- 3. In a large bowl, mix the flour with the herb and spice blend until well combined.
- 4. In another large bowl, whisk the egg into the buttermilk. Add the turkey pieces and soak for at least 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- 5. Drain turkey and let excess buttermilk drip off. Dredge the turkey pieces in the flour and spice mixture, giving each piece a shake to remove any excess coating. Spread out coated turkey pieces on a cookie sheet and set aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to allow the coating and egg to set up.
- 6. Meanwhile, heat oil to 350℉ in a pot or large, heavy bottomed skillet at least 2 inches high.
- 7. Carefully add turkey pieces to the hot oil and fry in small batches for 4-5 minutes, turning pieces over once half way through if not fully submerged in oil. Remove cooked turkey and lay on a rack over a cookie sheet. Using a paper-towel lined plate will cause the bottom of the turkey pieces to steam and become soggy.
- 8. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces, like BBQ or honey mustard. Or try combining BBQ sauce with ranch dressing for a new treat.
If you haven’t tried The Bearded Butcher spices and sauce this link will make it easy https://beardedbutchers.com/.
Born Hunting followers can visit westonsupply.com and enter code BFENSON21 at checkout and receive 20% off. You will find a complete line of meat processing and cooking equipment.